Friday, May 21, 2010

Still Hissing After All These Years!

Meet Gigi. She's a rescue who was feral when I got her in 2004 and after six years of "working with her," she still hisses at me as I hand her a dish of food. Some of my friends can't believe I enjoy having a pet like Gigi, but I find it hilarious that she hisses at the hand that feeds her. How very feline!
Gigi / Planet Blanket
Photo by Nancy Whelan

I have always been partial to animals with special needs and I like having a wild animal in the house. She lumbers out from under the bed, where she spends most of the night and half the day, and races for the living room sofa  where I'm sure to keep a nice big blanket waiting, so she can dive bomb under that and hide some more.

She makes strange warbling sounds like a tree animal and never looks me in the eye. She is also the best snuggler of any cat I've ever met.  Whenever I have trouble sleeping, all I have to do is pick her up and hold her for a few minutes and we both fall asleep instantly! I'm very clear that she was not put here to entertain me. We cohabitate. And when she hisses and disses the hand that feeds her, I never take it personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment