Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mucking through the Oil Spill

© Jenny Rollo
OK. I straight up admit it: I've buried my head in the sand. Yep. I am a self-proclaimed broken-hearted whimp and I just can't bear hearing and seeing the details of the damage done by the BP oil spill. I know that's unacceptable if you have journalistic aspirations, but I've drawn the humanity card and I'm only just now beginning to watch the news and look at all the images.

I'm confused about the government's response to the oil spill. I'm also perplexed by the way BP handles (or doesn't handle) the media, though in some ways I also find it reassuring: "Sorry Anderson, we're busy plugging a hole at the moment. We'll have to get back to you." Maybe it's just that simple. 

More likely, BP knows and has known from the beginning just how grave the magnitude of this event is and decided early on that to say anything would be to unleash total mayhem. Let the locals and then the world digest this mess one tragic day at a time.

I do feel for the local fisherman and their families. And what about the BP employees who lost their lives? It's kind of sad how little we've heard about them throughout this disaster. Meanwhile, the wildlife disaster unravels before our eyes and the fact that it's spawning season makes the situation even worse. So. What is being done to help the various species? Which organizations are involved? And most importantly, what can we do to help? After denial, comes action. I speak for myself, so forgive me if you already jumped in weeks ago!

Oiled Brown Pelican
Marie Travers/IBRRC
Let's start with the birds. Tri-state Bird Rescue and Research is leading the wildlife rescue efforts in the gulf, along with the International Bird Rescue Research Center (IBRRC), the Louisiana State Animal Rescue Team (LSART) and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS).

Want to volunteer? You can register to help out with the oil spill recovery! The Louisiana Gulf Response volunteer program will contact you based on their needs. Want to make a contribution? Donate whatever you can now for the oil spill recovery effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment